[lbo-talk] Zizek on Abu Ghraib

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 18:32:46 PDT 2004

Carl Remick wrote:

Hmm, maybe Zizek has a bolder selection of tabloids at his supermaket checkout than I do at mine...

Jeffrey Fisher replies:

maybe this one?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/05/07/hs.hazing/ http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/05/08/hs.hazing/

no, they're not nude, but otherwise pretty much in the ballpark.

==============

And, curiously enough, Zizek's take on this sordid mess - as a manifestation of an (often perceived as harmless) aspect of US culture - agrees with a statement from that late, great American philospher (oh, wait, he's still alive), Rush Limbaugh.

Behold:

from -

<http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/06/opinion/meyer/main616021.shtml

Rush: MPs Just 'Blowing Off Steam'

<snip>

Here's Rush's sociological evaluation of what really happened at Abu Ghraib, as quoted in a piece in The New Republic on Limbaughism:

"This is no different than what happens at the Skull and Bones initiation, and we're going to ruin people's lives over it, and we're going to hamper our military effort, and then we are going to really hammer them because they had a good time. You know, these people are being fired at every day. I'm talking about people having a good time, these people, you ever heard of emotional release? You [ever] heard of need to blow some steam off?"

[...]

Fun loving killers and chaos clowns. Smells like us.

.d.