Nader Goes Buchananite (Re: [lbo-talk] Vote Nader/Camejo 2004!

R rhisiart at charter.net
Thu Jun 24 22:37:47 PDT 2004

i was in calif then, too. you make this sound like it was some kind of a rational elective process. it wasn't. there were conflicts of vested interests, huge misinformation campaigns, well funded scare campaigns, and so forth. politics as usual.

by the time the election rolled around, the average voter didn't know which end was up, as is usually the case when self-serving "two-party" political partisanship, big money, big PR and deceptive political advertising combine.

i wasn't a matter of who had what plan, what was "left," what was liberal republican, the definition of radicalism, or what was reasonable. the goal of vested interests was to maintain the status quo, which was done by undermining any kind of change. this was intended to be a lesson to the entire USA, as calif was considered a bellwether state. in that, the vested interest controlled political system succeeded admirably -- as it has done for quite some time.

with you helping to set up the web site and your partner the statewide administrative director, who can believe your side was CRUSHED? with all your alleged political experience, committed ratiocination and constant search for someone/something to blame, nathan, you and your party keep making the same mistakes. even though you appear consistently willing to settle for "half a loaf" and the "lesser of two evils."

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan Newman" <nathanne at nathannewman.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 12:07 PM Subject: Re: Nader Goes Buchananite (Re: [lbo-talk] Vote Nader/Camejo 2004!

Nathan Newman wrote:
>-Expanded health care? What the fuck happened to universal health care?
>
>It got defeated.

-C'mon, Nathan. Defend Kerry all you like, but show some fidelity to -the facts. Clinton's health care proposal was a doomed disaster. -So instead, Clinton proposes some impossibly complicated scheme with -heavy private sector involvement and almost no political support. -That got defeated, not a real universal health insurance program.

I was in California in 1994 the same year Clinton's plan was defeated in Congress. Activists put single-payer health care on the California ballot (I helped set up a web site for them and my partner of the time was a statewide administrative director). It was CRUSHED at the polls, I think it got something like 35% of the vote.

Clinton's plan was a mess too, but you had the Clintonistas and the single payer absolutists refusing to deal. Frankly, the liberal Republican proposals on the table at the time, which could have been passed easily, look really good in retrospect. But no one was willing to settle for half a loaf, and fight another day for more.

What I care about is moving the ball down the field. I don't care how far it will move today; I care if we are moving it in the right direction and strengthening the mass movements that can move it farther tomorrow.

The equation of immediacy of victory with radicalism in some quarters drives me nuts. To demand everything and get nothing is not radical, it's a betrayal of those with immediate needs. Radicalism is getting as much as you can today, then planning the next battle.

Clinton screwed up in 1994, but so did the Left. They left a whole range of partial health care plans on the table that could have been passed, and instead held out for everything, rather than collaborate on a compromise. It was a suicidal, stupid mistake. I blame Clinton, but I also blame many single-payer advocates as well. They made sure that the votes were so divided among different proposals that no majority could emerge for any compromise plan.

Nathan Newman