[lbo-talk] Don't Mess With Mom

DeborahSRogers debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 25 04:57:32 PDT 2004

"Guest" wrote:
> Ever been bullied? Ever been repeatedly assaulted at
> school, day after day, for a weeks at a time?
>
> I'm guessing no.

You're guessing wrong. Way wrong. My middle school years were the stuff of horror movies. I am very familiar with bullying. I've recovered, moved on and trained my kids to not follow that legacy. Sounds like you haven't.

> Look, what you've described ain't wacky hijinx. It
> ain't harmless fun either. It's bullying, especially
> if abusers single out a few individuals for constant
> harrassment over a long period of time.

Actually, you are the one assuming that it is done in the name of bullying and having a subjective projection attack. The cases I referred to, and yes, these are actual cases, happened between friends. Yes, friends sitting around the lunch table, being silly, and instead of being reprimanded, were ticketed and fined by police. First time offenders from the honors classes, too. I don't think that type of incident is what inspires a Columbine.

> Obviously the school director shouldn't have the
> little thugs arrested after a single offense, but
> don't you agree that police intervention is
> appropriate at some point?

Thugs? Whaat? Like I said, you made some quantum leaps there, "Guest," and they're out of line. Yeah, I want the police there if there are illegal substances, weapons, sexual assaults or someone getting the crap beat out of them. And school district police should be involved in investigating the serial harrassment of individual students if the principals and counselors can't stop the abuse or ignore it.

But I certainly can't condone a knee-jerk, panic response, similar to yours, that throws out common sense and absolves the principals and counselors of any responsibility. The situation here has been extreme enough to warrant a fight for the control of the school board and media attention, as it should.

- Deborah

===== " How come people always flip and think they're Jesus? Why not Buddha? Particularly in America, where more people resemble Buddha than Jesus. 'Ah'm BUDDHA!' 'You're Bubba!' 'Ah'm Buddha now..All I gotta do is change 3 letters on ma belt...' " - Bill Hicks