[lbo-talk] Re: Chomsky and Zinn will vote for Nader

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 25 12:33:25 PDT 2004

Dear List:

Dwayne writes:

> It's interesting to note how the statement quoted
above seems, as I interpret it, to echo things Chuck0's written about the essential irrelevance of elections to activists with the long view

But isn't it possible to take the long and short views simultaneously?

If Bush is re-elected he will continue his attacks against queers and blacks. In fact, he will feel validated as he pursues his agenda.

Is this an outcome that progressives should help to bring about? In at least the area of queer and black rights there is a difference between Bush and Kerry. Since Nader a) has no chance; b) has been courting the right; and c) is homophobic to boot, shouldn't the focus be on defeating the racist, homophobic Bush?

Also, won't the election of Bush cause queers and blacks to focus their energies on the attacks directed at them, draining them of energy that could be better used building a mass movement? It might also feed resentment against those progressives who were Bush enablers.

> still others (serious, full time activists) can ignore the process
altogether and continue working in various ways towards change.

I wonder those who don't vote are viewed as boycotting a bad practice, or just part of great big apathetic America? It would be great if there was an on-line registry where non-voters could list themselves and the reason why they abstained. This way their act would be less likely to be misinterpreted.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister