[lbo-talk] Re: paranoid delusions

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Jun 26 18:03:46 PDT 2004

My partner and I just learned that a much older sister (she's 57) is mentally ill...Anyway, I guess it could be Alzheimer's but I'm wondering if anyone else knows of other possibilities. Kelly

---------

Before you jump to any conclusions, you should go see her and spend a little time with her to figure it out. There are a lot of possibilities beyond Alzheimers. Some are more scary and others much less so. A tumor for example, a series of minor strokes, a medication problem with anti-depressants, a brain injury she didn't realize she had. Also if she had any previous history of drugs and or alcohol, some of the long term liver and kidney complications that arrive later can be pretty weird as they effect the blood chemistry, hence the brain. And there are thyroid and other endocrine system problems that may not be all that easy to identify. For example as a complication to some hormone therapy she might be on for post-menopause. Even herbal medicines that people take for energy or to feel better.

And then there are brain injuries which are all over the map and many take a year or so to really understand what kind of deficit or impairment might be lasting and what is temporary.

All of these might seem completely off the wall. But I've seen them in disabled people who because they are disable to begin with, are often ignored or mis-diagnosed.

The sudden onset of mental problems with no prior history and no overt cause like severe stress, divorce, death of loved one etc in middle age is not common. So, I would be very cautious about what is going on.

CG