[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Jun 26 21:59:13 PDT 2004

Saw Fahrenheit 9/11 Sat. afternoon at a suburban Philadelphia theater. Very large crowd, looking pretty much like a cross-section of suburbia. During the film you could hear a woman sobbing through most of it, and when it was over a guy stood up and shouted "Go to hell, George Bush."

The main thing I learned from it that I did not know before was the scene in Congress when Bush's election was being certified; a petition to stop or delay it got a lot of Representatives' signatures and needed at least one Senator's signature, but no Senator was willing to sign it. Moore showed one black Representative after another standing up and saying she or he had signed it and bitterly complaining that no Senators had; after each one, Gore, who was presiding, officiously asked if a Senator had signed. "No." "Petition denied."

I hadn't realized that this had happened. A very powerful scene.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ Had I been present at the Creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better ordering of the universe. -- Attr. to Alfonso the Wise, King of Castile