[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

R rhisiart at charter.net
Sun Jun 27 20:48:18 PDT 2004

not all of us, joanna. my wife is afro-american; i've been awake to it for decades. she doesn't look like a little white girl dipped in chocolate either.

if this board is going to have a discussion on race -- which i can't imagine happening soon since i get the impression most members are from the dominant culture or connect with it one way or another -- i'd like to see "minority" races step forward. i don't mean just the jewish contingent, although i know this group has a lot to offer. otherwise i don't believe such a discussion will be productive of much more than discussion.

the majority of the people fighting "our" war in iraq are white from rural and small town areas. take another look at the pictures of the dead that ted koppel ran. of course, all races are involved and sacrificing. that's the american way: the US govt is an equal opportunity killer. the toll is being taken on the "working class" of all races, the poor, and the trusting of the establishment.

the "sand n-word" or its equivalent attitude has been embedded in US history since before the revolution. it's part and parcel of european history, too, as you know. the europeans also made mush of each other. it's no mystery that one factor destroying Reconstruction was the fear working class whites had that once again their power elite would scapegoat them as it did when slavery was legal. violence and cruelty seems to be the way of peoples everywhere, from time to time.

of course it's no accident the war is in iraq. on the other hand, the shrub group, the congress and the judiciary are doing a fine job of destroying the USA all by themselves.

as for moore's point being implicit instead of explicit, there's just so much that can be done with one movie. he depends, like all artists, on the audience to use its imagination.

peace,

----- Original Message ----- From: "joanna bujes" <jbujes at covad.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, June 27, 2004 10:50 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

No, I wasn't asleep, but the point was implicit. It needed to be explicitly made. What I'm waking up to is that the issue of racism is one we've all been asleep about for a long time. And that issue is related not only to the fact that it's the poor ( many of whom are black) that fight our wars, but that it's no accident that the war we're fighting at the moment is against a bunch of "sand-n-words" whose lives are so unimportant, we can't even be bothered to count the dead.

Joanna