[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 14:20:36 PDT 2004

R wrote:

it's OK focusing on white folks and their attitudes and actions. in fact, it's essential. but i believe there also are elements in the black community that need attention, non-dominant or not.

a sample list:

1. clarence thomas 2. condi rice 3. ward connerly in calif and on the road 4. the NAACP's failure to get the phony felon list in florida destroyed, despite winning the lawsuit 5. colon powell 6. several other opportunistic black republicans, who believe getting ahead is being republican 7. last but not least, the "black" president, bill clinton. i haven't read his autobiography. to anyone who has read that pointless tome: is there anything in it about race?

I'm reading (and re-reading) this trying to figure out what in the world to say, if anything.

I suppose all sorts of clever and useful things can be written (indeed, have been written and said) about Condi Rice, Clarence Thomas and the rest of your rogues' gallery but really, their actions and words do all the necessary analysis for us so what truly new insights remain to be unearthed that aren't blindingly obvious by now?

And Clinton? I mean, Clinton! Jesus Christ, what's that about? Who gives a good goddamn what Clinton may say in his book about race? I still can't get over this. Damn. Clinton! The man asked what Clinton thinks as if he's really a factor. Clinton was the 8 year manager of empire - beginning, middle and end of story for me. I can't even start to list what's wrong with this question, which, to my way of thinking is so painfully conventional as to be, well painful. Doesn't NPR do enough of this sort of thing during it's teeth grindingly 'earnest look at race relations' segements?

Are you asking how these folks are received in the 'Black Community'? Well, five minutes of empathetic logic (the 21st century synaptic survival skill) will reveal the possibilities. Some hail these jackasses as heroes, following the line of reasoning Glen Ford of blackcommentator.com vigorously criticizes - the reflex to praise anyone with a great gig and a prominent spot in the ruling class (a brutha or a sista "on the move").

Others are opposed for well considered political and philosophical reasons and yet still others don't care at all because after all, they're Americans with other, less weighty, concerns.

Listen amigo, I'm sure you mean well enough and perhaps I'm being too harsh but I have to say this is not what I'd call a high quality line of inquiry.

.d.