[lbo-talk] And now, the discussion on racism.

R rhisiart at charter.net
Mon Jun 28 19:18:01 PDT 2004

what i mean by this oh so funny word selection, john, is that hopefully in a discussion about racial issues the writer will identify their perspective to the extent their race is equally apparent.

as you've said yourself, in a discussion of racism, race tells us a lot about a person's point of view. and vice versa. for example, did you find it difficult to deduct dwayne, charles or my race from our postings discussing race?

this would be irrelevant in any other context. maybe. perhaps you are one of the few who's ideas, beliefs, values, assumptions, etc., are never colored by your own racial heritage? and your racial and ethnic heritage never betrayed by anything you say or do, ever?

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Thornton" <jthorn65 at mchsi.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 4:38 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] And now, the discussion on racism.

:
: >if we're going to discuss race, it should be apparent from the comments
what
: >a a person's race is. one would hope that person would share his/her
: >perspective.
: >
: >
: >
: >R
:
: Apparent? That is too funny. How many people on this list know my race,
: however that's defined? I know a black person who sounds like Bill
O'Reilly
: on the phone. You really believe it would be apparent if someone on this
: list was from Nigeria and named Gattahoon if he was educated in the US and
: held to many of the cultural norms of the US? I have a friend from the
: Czech Republic who, although white, holds views very different from my
: friend Gettahoon. Race tells us little about a persons ideas with the
: exception of ideas about racism in my opinion.
:
: John Thornton
: