[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 10:54:50 PDT 2004

>good, and fair, question. i'm thinking on a couple of levels, as i started
>to explain. one, is more fair and more equal. two, equity on a racial and
>class basis on a structural level, if i understand your question correctly.
>three, a political basis that can't be overturned with charges of "reverse
>racism" because it hits all the bases.

>i don't know if this is viable or if it will work. call it what you will.
>if it's viable, it will have the effect of affirmative action for everyone
>in the US who's deal a rotten hand because they are poor, working class,
>racially disadvantaged, etc. i'd hope it doesn't allow the power elite to
>perform its favorite divide and conquer routine; that i won't split the
>races as happened after reconstruction.

It seems that you're dumping affirmative action in favour of full employment. But isn't it still possible for there to be full employment and viable systemic racism eg everyone gets a job, just the blacks get the crap jobs, the whites get the less-crap jobs? If you try to make THAT particularity "more equal" by, say, "assigning" "better" jobs to blacks (maybe determined by the percentage of blacks in the country), then you're back where you started with affirmative action being called "racist".

Far better, I think, to have continued with affirmative action, answered the charges of racism by explaining why AA is there in the first place and countering the arguments placed against it, then extending it slowly into the private sphere.

>the "race thing" has pretty much been effaced by the "reverse racism"
>thing.
>i'm not critiquing affirmative action. i support it and always have. i'm
>saying that where you can't get affirmative action, try what i described.
>wouldn't call it full employment because i'd see it being used everywhere
>-- in employment, school admissions, you name it. it's actually, working
>class
>equity. and, ideally, i'd hope it brings the working class of all races
>together.

I don't see how the charge of "reverse racism" has effaced "the race thing" ie the fact that skin colour is a big determiner in life. If anything, the charge is pretty much groundless fear-mongering and should be exposed as fought as such.

So where affirmative action doesn't come through, say, for political reasons, it sounds like you're calling just for a pwog status quo: "be nice" to people of colour.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines