[lbo-talk] Asshole

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Jun 30 07:40:10 PDT 2004

I'm over limit, but I wanna reply to Deborah.

> Seriously, though, if we compensate for the gross generalization you
> made, don't you think the majority of what you're talking about comes
> from burnout from the stand-ups who try to make a career out of it?
> It's a brutal biz. Delusions of grandeur and a sitcom or talk show
> make SOBs out of once kind people and demons out of those that never
> thought to pursue counseling.

I was speaking only of my travels, which took me through nearly all of NYC's clubs, several LA hot spots, sitcom warm-ups, talk shows, hanging out in SNL's offices and in the studio during sketch blocking, "Politically Incorrect," MTV, and a number of midwestern clubs. Yeah, I met a couple of nice people (Willie Tyler, the ventriloquist, was a sweetheart, no joke), but like I said, most were fucked up in one way or another. It is a brutal biz. It does deform one's sensibilities. Watch "Tough Crowd" if you haven't yet. Imagine hanging with those people several nights a week, getting fucked up with them, competing with them. Drives you nuts.

Plus, it's hard doing intelligent material. The influx of mediocre comics has really lowered audience expectations. And a lot of club owners don't want you to go into "hot" topics, like religion or imperialist war. Gotta move those drinks, keep the laffs coming.

> I've been doing stand-up, off and on, for nearly 20 years. The comic
> that mentors me the most was mentored by Bill Hicks here in Houston.
> But the only way I've maintained my sanity and, in reality, my
> overall good nature, is by making it a part-time gig, not my life's
> career. That way, I can balance the outrage and the anger with having
> fun and making some laughs.

That's the only way to do it, and I think that's how I'm gonna approach it. And I'd love to hear more about your Houston comedy experiences, the Hicks mentor, and all that. Write me offlist if you wish -- and good luck with your show.

DP