[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11 and racism

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Wed Jun 30 10:26:46 PDT 2004

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, John Thornton wrote:
>
> > If wealthy people live in our society, something that makes our society
> > worse off makes wealthy people worse off.
> >
> > Same logic. Does it make any sense? Why is your statement true for white
> > people but not for the wealthy?
> >
> > John Thornton
>
>The statement's true for everybody. If X makes our society worse,
>everybody's worse off. Granted, privilege/power/money can ease the
>pain, but we're all in the boat together. (e.g., without govt
>infrastructure, even the wealthy are in a world of hurt, and if
>we improve infrastructure, that benefits the wealthy.)
>
>Miles

It is not true. We might like to believe it but it is not always true. In the case of anthropomorphic climate change it is true. In the case of income distribution it is not true. The point I was making was that someone posted that the wealthy were made better by racism but not white people in general. The argument used was that white people could not be made better by racism because white people and black people both constitute society. This ignores the fact that the wealthy are part of society too. Their argument was illogical.

John Thornton