[lbo-talk] Comment on F-9/11 and racism

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 30 19:10:58 PDT 2004

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Luke Weiger wrote:

> > The statement's true for everybody. If X makes our society worse,
> > everybody's worse off.
>
> Not necessarily, as I think any lib/leftist would recognize. E.g. capital
> gain tax cuts=good for wealthy, bad for most everybody else.
>
> -- Luke

Taking the macro view, I'd still insist the capital gains tax cuts (which are really tax increases for somebody in the future) will not benefit the wealthy in the long run. --e.g., without govt infrastructure like public highways maintained, trucking companies and retailers like Walmart are fucked. --Without decent public schools, there will be no competent employees or well-paid workers who can buy the corporate dodads.

Our lives are an intertwined social web, no matter who we are, so something that endangers the social structure endangers the well-being of the individuals who make up the social web.

Miles