[lbo-talk] Cops & Crime (was Comment on F-9/11 and racism)

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Jun 30 19:38:55 PDT 2004

Doug writes:
>Not necessarily. The U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics does an annual
>victimization survey, which asks people whether they were crime
>victims (excepting murder, where there's a response issue).

Murder's not the only crime where there's a response issue. Ask California ratepayers. I think if there were suddenly more cops on the corporate crime beat we'd see an 'explosion' in corporate crime. Since I'm a victim of it many times over, but don't even know I'm a victim, victim surveys don't do me any good. I mean, ask people if they're a victim of crime they won't remember that employer who didn't pay into Social Security or didn't pay them overtime; they'll mention the time their TV was stolen.

>For sure, but it's hard to cook the books with murders. And NYC's
>murder rate is back at early 1960s levels.

You think that's because there are more cops? How does the cause and effect work there, exactly? Oops, I better not shoot you cause here comes a cop? Gosh I've seen a lot of cops around here lately, if I kill someone they might catch me?

Jenny Brown