[lbo-talk] Haiti Coup and Left KneeJerks

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 1 06:10:10 PST 2004

Thomas Seay rants cluelessly:

> I dont know if this was a coup or not. But I cant
> believe that based on the testimony of one gardner
> that already people are jumping to the conclusion
> that this was a coup. Maybe within a few hours or
> days we can make that assesment, it may be true,
> but it is just fucking ridiculous and irresponsible that
> Pacifica and the fucking ANSWER/WWP gang are
> already calling this a coup. WHAT A BUNCH OF
> DUMBASSES!

Give me a fucking break. The incontrovertible fact that this was a coup is recognized by a lot more people than the ANSWER/WWP trots.

Aristide was democratically elected, and the armed gangsters who overthrew him are led by former macoutes, many of whom came over the border from the Dominican Republic. The so-called "civic opposition" (led by Andre Apaid and his coterie of spoiled brats who boycotted the last election because they knew damn well that there was no way they could have won a fair contest) hypocritically disavowed the violent actions of the macoutes while at the same time making common cause with them in calling for Aristide's resignation. In the end, they are the ones who will benefit.

It was a coup even if Bush was not involved. But it's painfully obvious that Bush was involved, despite all of the regime's diplomatically-couched non-denials. For a band of ragtag rebels, these people sure had nice uniforms and up-to-date weapons. Anyone who claims that we need to withhold judgment on this has either not been paying attention for weeks now, or is breathtakingly naive.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!