[lbo-talk] BDL on Sweezy

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Mar 1 07:10:07 PST 2004

luke asked I'm not going to defend Brad (I know nothing of Sweezy). But what's your point? I'd imagine Milt Friedman's work is sure to generate "far more serious theoretical discussion" than the collective output of every lbo-talk member. When he dies, should this give us pause before we criticize him?

--my point is consistent with doug and max, namely that delong took this occasion as an opportunity to make a cheap shot than a serious commentary on the significance of sweezy's contribution to economics and social change. i don't see much comparison between sweezy and friedman. one was rewarded with all the perks of the american economic and political establishment, the other was ignored when not aggressively ostracised despite the far more substantive contribution to economics and critical thinking in general.

steve