Principled Discoursin' (was Re: [lbo-talk] BDL on Sweezy)

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Mon Mar 1 08:54:54 PST 2004

At 11:21 AM 3/1/2004, Stephen E Philion wrote:
>kelley wrote
>You used ad hominem to attack de Long by maintaining that his work
>isn't nearly as great as Sweezy's and, therefore, the implication was
>that De Long ought to
>shut up.
>
>--nope, i said he made a cheap shot. he's free to make cheap shots, i
>didn't say he should shut up.

you still haven't addressed Luke's question, oor mine. What does a speaker's/writer's stature in their field or productiveness as an author/researcher have to do with whether they are qualified to criticize someone? (Note, I agree with Doug and Max, here; so can it if you think I'm defending de Long's commentary on Sweezy. Why I should have to explain that is, of course, ridiculous....)

Kelley