Principled Discoursin' (was Re: [lbo-talk] BDL on Sweezy)

T Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Mar 1 08:56:22 PST 2004

> de Long and everyone else ought to ignore such criticism. They are
> meaningless. Do you, Steve, have to be as productive as De Long in
> order to criticize him, on substantive grounds?
>
> --well, i wouldn't take a cheap shot at delong on the occasion of his
> death and leave that as the only commentary on his life's significance.
> brad actually is far more productive and accomplished than moimeme in
> academic career, i wouldn't write a commentary on his death that didn't
> acknowledge his actual contribution to his field. he's free to do that
> of course on intellectual adversaries' deaths.

This reminds me of the Bully on the playground that gets to smack up the defenceless off camera. Brad's original post was a salacious ad hominen attack on Sweezy pure and simple. He (Brad) invited the missives against him by choosing to engage in such an attack on Sweezy.

While we are on the subject, and this is a "value neutral" question on my part: what is Brad's productive contribution to his field, i.e., marginalist economics?

Travis