[lbo-talk] Re: Guardian on Miliband

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 1 09:37:34 PST 2004

Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:

>Did you see the big nickel?

Yup, I did. Enormous. I was impressed by the scale of stuff in Sudbury - a real antidote to postindustrial delusions. If Sudbury stopped producing nickel, the world economy would be in trouble.

> What would you estimate that to be, about 25m?
>The Science Centre is a lot of fun... the landscape has been decimated by
>the mining industry

No kidding. Even after the quarter-mile-high smokestack, which was supposed to preserve the landscape, it looks like the moon.

> but about 2 hours away is Killarney Provincial Park -
>probably my favourite place in the whole world. I learned to paddle there...
>Utopia, I'm convinced, is an cherry wood otter tail for use with a cedar
>stripped canoe. Tim Horton's coffee is terrible too, but I have to hand it
>to them, they've certainly created unique kind of coffee.

Dunkin Donuts has pretty good coffee. So Horton's is like DD, but it's Canadian and has worse coffee!

Doug