[lbo-talk] Slavoj on Mel

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 1 10:20:38 PST 2004

only a thorough materialism that is
> able to sustain a truly ascetic, militant and ethical stance.

How true. And a thorough materialism would point out that abstract "cultural politics" is not the answer. Solve people's practical problems and give them access to education, and fundamentalism will wither away. Tell them "I'm a materialist and I'm attacking your religion," and fundamentalism will grow.

P.S. Lacan's theory of love is his typical cynical bullshit. A small joke is not social science. Likewise, it scares me whenever leftists start ripping on "liberal" tolerance. Do we really want a world that isn't tolerant? I think not.