[lbo-talk] building a New Economy visual archive

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 1 13:29:45 PST 2004

[bounced for some mysterious reason]

Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:17:14 -0500 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org From: Thomas Frank <wedelbe at gsbalum.uchicago.edu> Subject: building a New Economy visual archive

I'm trying to get copies of certain TV commercials that ran a lot during the bubble years, especially on CNBC. One is a commercial for the Datek brokerage called "The Wall" in which a jacquerie of small investors breaks down the door of the stock exchange (I used to have a copy, but have misplaced it). The other is that commercial in which a tow truck driver wins an entire island through savvy day-trading. I'm also looking for any old CNBC footage that includes a feature they used to have called the "Wealth Meter," which charted the ups and downs of the various billionaire's fortunes on a daily basis (but which has long since been discontinued).

I need copies of these to show to foreign audiences and demonstrate to them just how crazy it all got here in the US of A a few short years ago.

Tom Frank