[lbo-talk] Haiti Coup and Left KneeJerks

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 05:25:09 PST 2004

Chris said:

>Todd, haven't you figured out yet that such repeated, and usually very
>poorly-informed, >denunciations of every human being under the sun for not
>living up to an ideal standard are a way >to exhibit one's own moral purity
>and have very little to do with the real world?

Oh, Chris, don't be such a grump! For all the occasional bombast and heftier doses of ideology, Michael offers those criticisms honestly, I think, not out of some personal problem (well, at least not in so far as ANY of us have personal problems . . .). And, despite carping, he keeps us all that much more "on the ground", helping to prevent the list from floating off into La-La Land where there isn't mud, blood, and ugliness. Just carp right back at him, keep HIM from going off to his La-La Land. Follow my lead as I spit my little peashooter criticism! !{)>

>BDL's and MP's Stalin fixations, for instance, have as far as I can tell
>nothing whatsoever to do with >anything Stalin actually did, but are
>instead crude clubs used to beat other people with and assert >their own
>(imagined) moral purity. Ditto for the continual harping on the evil North
> >Koreans. "Other people may be duped by the wily machinations of the Kim
>Jong Il propaganda >machine, but not me! I am far too clever and
>worldly-wise!"

Yes, that ie the club thing can happen. What else is new on a list that features all the daily servings of ego and then some? And the history of policing on the left is a tried and true tradition; I'm sure we all have done/do/will do that at some point.

>I'm still wondering why supporting Stalin is worse than supporting Yeltsin,
>which I believe Brad is >on the record as having done.

<GROAN!!> Not going there . . . .

>BTW can we all pitch in and contribute to a class for Pugliese on the basic
>rules of English >punctuation? I, had not, thought, that the simple, comma,
>was so hard to, master.

Umm, Michael, I think he's right on. Reading most of your posts is like riding on a bus whose driver likes to tap his breaks . . . . BTW, we could also take up a collection for Justin'stypingerrorsthatgolikethis and, my own bugbear, people's e-mail progs that create mail that's insanely horizontal, stuff that goes beyond the page to the side.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca