[lbo-talk] THE MYTH OF THE 'GOOD' CARTER

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 3 08:36:46 PST 2004

>It defended the closest thing to a functioning state Afghanistan has ever had from
a bunch of lunatic hill tribesmen with a penchant for mass rape and slitting the throats of schoolteachers in girls' schools?

Historical point taken. Nonetheless, I find it hard to believe that this was Brezhnev's intention, stated or otherwise. And I don't recall Marxists or the left opposing US counter-intervention with the hope of thwarting such lunatic hill tribesmen, as you call them. In fact, to the degree that such tribesmen are the predecessors of the Taliban, Al-Queda and the noble resistance in Iraq, Marxists might have decidedly mixed feelings about them, especially in hindsight.

Christian