[lbo-talk] Lenin & Oligopoly

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Wed Mar 3 10:18:14 PST 2004

> What are some examples of good political theorists by this criterion
> -- and to be fair about it, these should be examples of theorists
> working around the early 1900s and describing and predicting
> political processes and relationships for the 20th century, not short
> or even medium range theorists.

Why the time limits? Even within them: Thorstein Veblen, John Dewey, Rosa Luxemburg, Marx and Engels, Eugene Debs, Frederick Douglass, W.E. B. DuBois, E. Cady Stanton & Susan B. Anthony. I would also give credit, though not sympathy, to bourgeois theorists of the era who were right about modern power's dynamics, but not its ultimate meaning: Mosca, Pareto, Bernays, Lippmann, Schumpeter, Lord Acton.

All these figures (and many others) blow Lenin's doors off in terms of political theory staying power.