[lbo-talk] Re: Ok, I Need Some Education

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 3 14:02:02 PST 2004

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

>Hmm, is it so mystifying? I mean, what's wrong with
>the classical theory that monopoly means higher prices
>and restricted output? I'm actually asking here.

But you're just looking at the consumer's perspective? What about the effects of competition-induced cost-cutting on workers and nature, and the cultural/political effeccts of competition on notions of social solidarity? Social democracy seems to do best in fairly concentrated ownership structures.

Doug