[lbo-talk] U.S.: Iraq Extremists Signal Danger Period

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 3 14:17:37 PST 2004

Brad Mayer wrote:

>Sure enough...
>
>Note that the deployment of "militant" has become global to the
>corporate media discourse, whether it be Haiti or Iraq. This is part of
>the US capitalist media's rhetorically thuggish terrorist campaign
>against the Left. It is a conscious campaign. "Just don't get
>militant", or we'll come and get you. Tell me we are not sliding
>towards fascism, no matter who gets elected President. US ruling class
>sees hard times ahead.
>
>U.S.: Iraq Extremists Signal Danger Period
>2 hours, 1 minute ago
>
>By PAULINE JELINEK, Associated Press Writer
>
>WASHINGTON - Americans can expect more casualties in Iraq (news - web
>sites) as extremists try to derail the transfer of authority and
>security responsibilities to a new government, the commander of
>coalition troops said Wednesday.

My god, you're excitable. Just because the commander of coalition troops says something doesn't mean it's wrong. It seems plausible that people who don't approve of the U.S. occupation or the handover of power might do nasty things to fuck it up, no? Why is saying this evidence of incipient fascism? And why should we identify the characters blowing up mosques with the Left?

Doug