[lbo-talk] The Recent Bombings in Iraq

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 3 15:24:11 PST 2004

Robert Fisk's speculation on who's responsible for the Ashura bombings? No, not if we consider whose interests are served by the bombings in Iraq and Pakistan. The US has done similar things before (e.g., Beirut 1985), as has Israel; and we're witnessing a US-produced "civil war" in Haiti designed to produce the result the US has wanted since 1990. It's been suggested that the removals of Shevardnadze and Milosevic show the same m.o. --CGE

Purported Qaeda Letter Denies Role in Iraq Blasts

Reuters

http://reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=

1N01FQBOVMGS4CRBAE0CFFA?type=worldNews&storyID=4486705

DUBAI (Reuters) - A letter purporting to come from Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda network denied any role in Tuesday's anti-Shi'ite Muslim explosions in Iraq and blamed the attacks that killed 185 people on the United States.

The letter, signed by the Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades with "al Qaeda" in parenthesis, was sent to the London-based al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper. It was obtained by Reuters Wednesday.

"U.S. troops have committed a massacre against the innocent Shi'ite people to set sectarianism ablaze among Iraq's Muslims," the letter said.

"We, and with God as our witness, say we are innocent of this act and of anything that will drive the Shi'ites away. Our mujahideen (holy warriors) love God and his prophet and will not do anything that will harm the Iraqi people."

Suicide bombers, mortars and concealed explosives killed at least 185 people and wounded more than 435 in Baghdad and Kerbala during the holy Shi'ite mourning period of Ashura.

The attacks on the mass gatherings made Tuesday the bloodiest day since U.S. troops toppled Saddam Hussein in April.

Iraq's U.S.-appointed Governing Council blamed the blasts on Abu Musab Zarqawi, a Jordanian who Washington says works for al Qaeda and whom it accuses of trying to fuel chaos in Iraq.