[lbo-talk] haiti

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 16:14:31 PST 2004

Driving home, I listened to an NPR report on the refusal of Caribbean nations to participate in peacekeeping operations in Haiti.

According to the reporter, kidnapped ex-President Aristide's failure to keep quiet on the gangster-like details of his removal has deprived the Bush admin of bargaining credibility. The debunked claims of the Iraq war -- debunked before a planetary audience, a first I believe -- might also be playing a significant role.

This leaves, for now, only US and French forces in-country to 'stabilize' the situation.

The US, to the best of my knowledge, has zero history providing actual aid and comfort to Haiti. Plenty of interference, no assistance.

So the question arises, what is the Marine's real mission?

DRM