[lbo-talk] Re: wotsit madder

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 5 13:55:54 PST 2004

> So the FROP would be completely consistent with the
> top-heaviness theory of capitalist crisis -- that
> there is a shortage of profitable investment
> opportunities in production. Defenders of the FROP
> theory would not deny that top-heaviness exists. They
> would say that top-heaviness is only a symptom and you
> need the FROP theory to know why top-heaviness arises
> and how it relates to the rest of the economic
> phenomena.
>
> Isn't this what Marx is trying to work out in all of
> those difficult passages of Volume III? (I can't tell
> for sure if he succeeds.)
>
> Tom

I can see the point and realism of Doug's usage, but I still think the above is erroneous. Productive (leading to increased goods/services output) capitalist investments are made based on the existence or non-existence of promising pools of effective demand, not on the basis of some general profit-rate calculation: "I have x-million dollars. If I invest it in Project A, how much more money am I likely to get back? Are there enough potential buyers of the goods/services we'll make to make this bet? What returns have other recent investors been getting from this firm?"