[lbo-talk] the imperialism of the liberal

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Mar 5 14:24:29 PST 2004

On Friday, March 5, 2004, at 03:48 PM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Libertarians like Antiwar.com aren't really fond of unions or public
> programs or a progressive tax system. In fact, a lot of the "not a
> dime's worth of difference" crowd cares mostly about foreign policy,
> and not the U.S. working class.

In addition to which it is strongly attached to a kind of "Great Man" theory of history, according to which prominent political leaders like Woodrow Wilson formulate a "liberal imperialism" concept or theory, which then trickles down somehow to the masses.

What I think is a more historically accurate view is that broad majorities of Americans prefer to think that their country is a beacon of hope to the less God-blessed parts of the world, and therefore are glad to support interference of their country all over the world. This idea goes back way before Wilson, at least as far as the conceit that European settlers were conveying the blessings of civilization to the Native Americans.

This is a very deep-seated idea in the American public, which will not be eradicated by electing any number of presidents -- Dem, Repub, or independent. (To get enough votes to win, they have to pander to such ideas.) It will have to be removed by some sort of education -- what kind, I have no idea at this point.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)