[lbo-talk] RE: psychopathology of every day life.

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Sat Mar 6 16:47:28 PST 2004

Chip writes:

"OK, it makes you feel superior, for a moment, Joanna. But what evidence is there that Buffett and Gates are psychopaths?"

Oh, I don't know about "superior." If I had enough money not to work, I wouldn't, that's all. That is to say, I wouldn't do the sort of coerced and basically unconstructive work I do now (corporate technical writer.) And that wouldn't be heaps of money -- just enough to pay rent, eat, afford health care, etc.

To say that these men are not psychopaths because they behave according to the capitalist norm isn't saying much.

In some societies, the norm is genital mutilation for women. In others, it is the "honor killing" of women. In others, it is the amassing of wealth irrespective of the damage done to the earth and to the people who actually produce that wealth. Sociopathic? Sure.

If we are unwilling to call the "norm" unacceptable, be it racism, misogyny, or whatever -- where does change come from?

Joanna