[lbo-talk] Re: wotsit madder\Doug on Japan

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Mar 6 23:53:09 PST 2004

Quoting Paul <paul_ at igc.org>:

> What I have seen in the last few years focuses on either the structural
> weakness that was in the banking sector (solution: we buy it), macro
> (reflate-so-we-can-export), inflationist (Krugman) and a few allusions (but
> no studies) to an "over-accumulation" crisis [does Bill Tabb have a book on
> this?].

I don't think we can blame the theorists per se, I think the real problem is that Japan's accumulation structure has been changing so fast -- it's gone from a pretty autarkic, protectionist economy to the linchpin of East Asia. Theorizing this means relating Japan's accumulation structure with the tiger economies, mainland China, Southeast Asia, etc. Multinational capitalism in East Asia is this mutant conglomeration of the Japanese keiretsu, Korean chaebol, Chinese business groups, US consumerism, Northeast Asian developmental states, Southeast Asian comprador states, Communist capitalisms and Vietcong industrialisms. We don't yet have maps for these territories, to paraphrase the William Gibson interview-film.

-- DRR