[lbo-talk] Paul Sweezy again

Geoff Robinson geoffr at deakin.edu.au
Mon Mar 8 11:21:31 PST 2004

The Theory of Capitalist Development was the first Marxist work I read. I remember being impressed by the first part of the work and then puzzled and perturbed by the second part. Ditto even more for Monopoly Capital (the Frankfurt school goes to Moscow). How could Sweezy have read Trotsky's History of the Russian Revolution and then sign the infamous 1937 statement to American progressives defending the Moscow trials? I am more inclined to be critical of fellow travellers than CP members like Dobb or Ronald Meek who were at least consistent. Irving Howe's critique of Sweezy in 'Authoritarians of the Left" still stacks up fairly well as do Joseph Starobin's comments in American Communism in Crisis.

Dr Geoff Robinson Lecturer Australian Studies & Politics Faculty of Arts Deakin University Warrnambool VIC 3280 Ph: 03 5563 3512 Fax: 03 5563 3534 Mobile: 0407 731 963 -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040309/5c5c7007/attachment.htm>