[lbo-talk] 1979 (THE MYTH OF THE 'GOOD' CARTER)

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Mon Mar 8 10:47:10 PST 2004

Quoting Jon Johanning <jjohanning at igc.org>:

> Rather than "giving up" on the Democratic Party, as you say leftists
> should have done in 1979, I would suggest taking it over and moving it
> to the left.

The Dems aren't a party so much as a brand-name or a merchandising operation, so there's nothing to take over. It'd be like trying to take over a marshmallow. (It works the other way, too: it's precisely because US parties are so hazily amorphous that the oiligarchy can run amok.) What *is* worth pushing to the Left is the labor movement.

-- DRR