[lbo-talk] Re: retirement

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Mon Mar 8 21:41:23 PST 2004

One of the things I envied about Paul Sweezy was that he was able to quit working at age 37. I will never have an inheritance, but I was lucky that my pension fund grew by leaps and bounds during the stock market bubble. I had hoped to quit working at age 55, since that is the minimum age tat which I could withdraw pension money without tax penalty. The bubble made this possible. Thankfully we had enough sense to get the money out of the stock market before it tanked. Now we have enough money to live on (I still do some teaching--labor education--and consulting). Nothing extravagant.

Although I had to wait 'til 55, I feel pretty lucky. Work is a real drag. At least when it is not self-directed. Now, however, I can work when I want and do what I want. We love to move around. I really only feel really good when we are on the road, seeing the sights, hiking, talking to strangers, learning as much as we can about wherever we are. I love motels and hotels. So far, since 2001, we have lived in Yellowstone National Park, Manhattan, at my mom's house in Western Pennsylvania, in Miami Beach, and in Portland, Oregon. We will leave Portland in May and head for the southwest and then to Miami Beach again. I have some irons in the fire for Honolulu and Grenoble (France).

What is interesting is that even though we are always somewhat unsettled, I have been able to write a lot--a book, articles, reviews, now some fiction stories too. Plus I have been doing labor studies courses on the web for several colleges. I love to do these while I am on the road. Students in New York City, me in Kearney, Nebraska or Florence, Oregon. My health has improved as well. Work is generally not conducive to sound body and mind. Lots of fresh air and exercise are. What is great is knowing that I never have to go "home" and get back to work.

Michael Yates