[lbo-talk] KPFK Event

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 08:55:34 PST 2004

Embarrasing 'conspiracy theories'!? - I am not aware of any that either McKinney or Ruppert has propagated. In fact, the statements that McKinney made, accusing Bush of a 9-11 cover-up have been increasingly vindicated and even echoed by others, including Howard Dean and now even somewhat timidly, John Kerry who has accused the Bush admin of stonewalling the 9-11 investigation - the obvious corrolary to that accusation is "What are you hiding?" - whatever they are hiding, and they are obviously hiding something, it has got to worse than just 'how badly they screwed up' because that much is already obvious to the general public and they would have little to lose on that count.

The real embarrasment is the extent to which the establishment left have not only failed to challenge the Bush admins. dubious handling of 9-11 but spent a lot of energy hamstringing the efforts of others. The 9-11 issue has only gained more, not less traction as time has gone by and the notions that were originally dismissed as 'conspiratorial' seem less and less so. Nevertheless, you and others seem eager to give the Bush admin. an easy out with the 'failure' thesis, when in fact their stonewalling the 9-11 Commission clearly suggests that they are hiding more than just their already obvious 'failure' - the issue in Iraq was not the failure of intelligence, but the malevolent and medacious manipulation of intelligence to justify a war. The 'failure' thesis tends to exculpate the Bush administration and if it was merely a matter of failure, the investigation would be a fairly straighforward affair.

You are also completely wrong about Pacifica's 'hardcore base'. The most popular public affairs program on Pacifica is Amy Goodman's Democracy Now! DN! has studiously ignored this issue for the most part as has most of Pacifica's core audience. The big ticket events for Pacifica usually feature the likes of Paul Krugman, Molly Ivins, Al Franken, Noam Chomsky, Daniel Ellsberg and other liberal staples - who in fact represent the muse of the 'Pacifica hardcore'. People like Mike Ruppert remain on the margins of Pacifica much as they do within the establishment left. This is in no small measure due to the efforts of Norman Solomon, Mike Cooper, Chip Berlet, Steve Rendell, David Corn and others who successfully urged Pacifica management, specifically at KPFA and KPFK to refrain from indulging Mike Ruppert et al. By engaging Mike Ruppert and Cynthia McKinney, Pacifica is in fact doing just what you suggest and more - not only widening its audience, but widening its audiences perspectives.

Joe W.