[lbo-talk] Robert Fisk

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 9 15:08:44 PST 2004

C. G. Estabrook writes:

> I don't think these quotations are as contradictory as
> they may seem. In each case Fisk speaks of the
> coming of a civil war that does not now exist, provoked
> by the advent of the American troops. That such a thing
> could be the conscious policy of the US and/or its
> collaborators seems to be regarded as unthinkable by
> some on this list. I don't see why

I agree. It seems to me that people are a little glib on this list in trashing people who don't deserve it. For instance, I have no idea who that Michael Ruppert character is, but Cynthia McKinney doesn't deserve the walloping she got today from some on this list. She was a terrific, progressive Congresswoman -- an outspoken, progressive black Congresswoman, to be more specific -- and she was buried by the Democratic establishment via the use of someone who had only recently been a registered Republican. The piling-on on McKinney by the punditocracy that followed the piling-on by the powers-that-be -- in standard fashion -- was grotesque, though well within the tradition of public lynching of influential black people who step out of line, going back at least to Paul Robeson and probably well before. It's unseemly for left-wingers to join in on that kind of thing, particularly when they employ the same candards about how McKinney was "crazy" or prone to "conspiracy theories," etc. The country is worse off for her hounding from the political scene, and there is no two ways about it.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!