[lbo-talk] Robert Fisk

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Wed Mar 10 07:05:15 PST 2004

On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 09:40 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:

> John Adams wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, March 10, 2004, at 02:19 AM, J Cullen wrote:
>>
>>> McKinney is said to be mounting a comeback campaign for her
>>> congressional seat.
>>
>> I live in her district. If I see any sign of this campaign, I'll
>> mention it.
>
> After she lost, I read or heard somewhere that her problem really was
> much more local than the national left made it out to be. Is this > true?

My impression is this is true--I'm newish in town, and less politically involved than back home in Arkansas, so take it with a grain of salt. That's not to discount the pressure from outside of her district, but to point up what inside her district made her vulnerable to such an attack. It was pretty clear to me that there were interests outside her district but not nationally connected which also pushed against her. The local NPR station made a point of broadcasting anti-McKinney news on the day of the election--it wasn't necessarily outside the pale in content, but the timing seemed a bit odd, there being something so newsworthy as to be broadcast on election day.

Note how the LA Times got bashed for running its expose on Schwartzengroper shortly before the election--there was none of that outrage on this.

I'm not paying massive attention to the state races, other than Senate--that's going to be interesting--so I guess I'm a typical voter, who has no idea whether McKinney (or her father) is running again or not. Possibly that says something about the efficiency of her campaign.

All the best,

John A