[lbo-talk] the gains from variety

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Thu Mar 11 09:43:43 PST 2004

> Nevertheless, distrust of growth of variety and proliferation of choices
> is safer than a simple trust in "more is better." It seems almost
> tautological that (say) 3 choices is apt to be better in every way than
> 50 choices.
>
> Carrol

Balderdash, utter balderdash! Choice is massively important. It's the essence of both democracy and humanity. This whole new literature about "the tyranny of choice" is bad science. The problem is not too many choices, but the hidden consequences of the proferred range of choices, and the extreme lack of democratic control over macro-level choices. Attacking choice is the ultimate form of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. It's also a false diagnosis of ordinary people problems.

The left's canned, knee-jerk rhetoric (ala Carrol's comments) about choice is one very big obstacle to our wider appeal. We should be arguing for expanded choice, not telling people they're stupid for liking variety.