[lbo-talk] Haiti participation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 11 16:56:56 PST 2004

Michael Perelman challenged the Council on Foreign Relations' assertion that voter turnout in Aristide's election was 5%. Here's corrorboration.

I interviewed Robert Fatton, author of Haiti's Predatory Republic, on the radio today - it'll go up on the web tomorrow. The publisher, Lynne Reinner Books, made me pay the FedEx bill and still couldn't get it here before the show, so I only just started looking at it. On p. 123, it says, "While in both instances [1997 & 2000] fraud was pervasive and voter participation extremely low (barely 5 percent in 1997), the Clinton administration and the international community characterized the elections as 'free and fair.'"

Doug