[lbo-talk] Haiti participation

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 11 18:38:39 PST 2004

the 5% figure, whether one accepts it or not is for the 1997 elections, the voter turnout figures for the 2000 elections are universally reported at 60% or higher. The turnout for both elections nevertheless was negatively influenced by real and alleged fraud, and political violence and intimidation. It is worth remembering of course that the climate for democracy in Haiti was seriously hampered by the US backed anti-Aristide coup led by Raoul Cedras after Aristide was brought to power by a popular movement. To be sure, that popular movement has been over the years corrupted by a combination of hubris and external destabilization, much like the ANC and other liberation movements. But the five years that Aristide spent in exile, which could have been a positively formative period for Haiti were instead a period when the popular movement that brought Aristide to power was seriously undermined by the then resurgent Duvalierist elements - which now re-emerge triumphant again - courtesy of the US State Department.