[lbo-talk] Re: the gains of variety

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Mar 11 18:38:02 PST 2004

Dear List:

Michael writes:

> Funny stuff, coming from an individual who goes out of his way to describe
his claimed distinguishing qualities at the end of every message.

How is what I append below my name going out of my way? As I have made clear in other posts, I see danger in individualism; I find nothing wrong with distinguishing charateristics.

> Buddhist ideology, your philosophical idealism, and your unhistorical
approach to issues all aside

You seem to have great concern about counterproductive practices on the left and honoring variety, and yet you blithely dismiss what I post. Guess your are not for variety when it is in conflict with your thinking LOL.

Can you also detail your objections to Buddhist ideology, economics, concept of self etc? Also, what is unhistorical about my Buddhist philosphy? Was William James being unhistorical (or should it be ahistorical?) when he rejected the Western tradition of thought that started with Plato and ended with Hegel? I know the history. I am convinced it was a wrong path. Capitalism is the economics of individualism. By strengthening the notion of the independent individual you strengthen capitalism.

> You'd yelp as loud as anybody else if somebody tried to pinch your
personal freedom and independence.

Are you a mind reader as well? For the record, I can accept the limiting of personal freedom since I do not fetishize the self. I am fully aware of the interdependent nature of reality so I realize independence cannot be pinched since nothing and no one is independent.

It would be nice though if you could actually address the objections I raise against individualism rather than just put my ideas down. You preach variety, but do not seem to handle it very well. Of course, I recognize that evasion is a choice a person can make.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister in Possession of Distinguishing Characteristics But No Self