[lbo-talk] Self (was variety etc.)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 12 07:05:36 PST 2004

Eubulides wrote:

> As if living had only one point or purpose.

Ian & I have at least one point of complete agreement. The question, "What is the meaning of life?" belongs in the comic strips.

One comic strip I saw this a.m. has a young man (a new character) saying to himself, "I read somewhere...'men are born to succeed, not fail'!" And in a paper earlier in the week, I vaguely remember, an athlete in a team that had somewhat surprisingly reached a big tournament that it would still mean nothing if they didn't win the tournament. Success (as _the_ goal) is as over-estimated in capitalist society as choice and variety. Cubs fans, despite their wailing, seem to have more fun than most fans of winning teams.

Carrol