[lbo-talk] The Paradox of Choice: More Choices, Fewer Varieties

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Mar 12 07:59:00 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less (the gains from variety)
>Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu, Thu Mar 11 12:06:50 PST 2004
<snip>
>On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:
<snip>
>>These points, however, are footnotes. The main point is that
>>choice is one-half of what's miraculous and precious about human
>>beings (the other half being our capacity for altruism).
>
>This is a pretty ethnocentric claim. One of the most dramatic
>changes in human social life over the past 10,000 years has been the
>increase in opportunities for personal choice, in almost every
>social institution: family & marriage, profession/occupation,
>religious affiliations, economic affairs.

Here's another paradox of choice: one of the consequences of capitalism is we have more rights/duties to make choices _but_ fewer varieties to choose from.

Of Agriculture:

"According to UNEP, there were 13 known varieties of asparagus in 1903. By 1983, there was just one. There were 287 varieties of carrot in 1903; this has fallen to just 21. Over 460 varieties of radish were known in 1903; this has dropped to 27. Nearly 500 varieties of lettuce were catalogued at the turn of the century; this has fallen to 36. Consumer choice...?" (_The Ecologist_, April 2001,<http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m2465/3_31/73040697/print.jhtml>).

Of Language:

"Linguists now estimate that half of the more than 6,000 languages currently spoken in the world will become extinct by the end of this century" (Jack Hitt, "Say No More," _New York Times Magazine_, February 29, 2004, p. 52). -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>