[lbo-talk] the gains from variety

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 12 08:51:23 PST 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, Michael Dawson -PSU wrote:

> As to the idea, promoted by professional cranks like Miles, that this is all
> just ethnocentric prejudice -- well, I guess that's why Miles is living his
> alternative pre-modern lifestyle -- oops, he isn't, is he? All those who
> don't think modernity has bestowed many genuine gifts upon the race should
> be completely free to go live in some other way, of course. They will be
> mighty lonely.

You seem to have a hard time understanding where I'm coming from. A crucial component of capitalist economic relations is the creation of individuals who see themselves as free agents who have the power to independently choose products, jobs, and business opportunities. Again, the question: to what extent do people in our society value freedom because of socialization into a society that glorifies the autonomous free agent?

Calling me a professional crank (whatever that is) won't make this important question go away. (I guess the fact that you don't even want to consider it illustrates my point: people have a hard time analyzing concepts like freedom and individuality that reinforce the status quo. --Kinda like a feudal peasant not being able to consider the possibility that God doesn't exist.)

Miles