[lbo-talk] Re:

Michael Dawson -PSU mdawson at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 12 11:01:07 PST 2004

> Because I exist. I have never denied my existence; I have merely asserted
that I have no-self.

Who needs to refute you? You refute yourself. "I" have no self? That's an evidence lie right there. Who wrote that sentence with that "I" in it? You did, Brian Dauth, the individual.

I can totally understand and agree with the idea that dwelling within oneself too much (being selfish) is dangerous, evil, and self-defeating. But to say "I have no self" is patently false. People have selves, and enjoyment of the self is the only earthly meaning. Freedom means nothing without selves. Kid yourself about that with overblown claims if you want, but you won't convince many people that way. Falsehood will not make us free.

Meanwhile, your interpretation of human history and the genesis of people's consciousness simply differs from mine. I'm a materialist. As such, I don't think "Abrahamic philosophy" (whatever that is) has much of an impact on how people think and act in 2004.