[lbo-talk] Re: self (was variety etc.)

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Fri Mar 12 12:56:05 PST 2004

Dear List:

Micahel writes:

> Who needs to refute you? You refute yourself. "I" have no self?

No-self. Anatman. It is a Buddhist concept, and you are still evading the question, which is your right, but doesn't make your right.

> Who wrote that sentence with that "I" in it? You did, Brian Dauth, the individual.

I think I have written many times that I do exist, but I have no-self. Since you have displayed in other posts ease with nuanced concepts, I do not know whether you are being purposefully dense about Buddhism or whether you really do not understand. It may also be that you have no interest in exploring this path of thought. But just because you are not interested does not make it false. It merely means you are choosing to leave certain ideas unexplored.

> But to say "I have no self" is patently false.

Again, you keep asserting (which is your right), but in doing so you are akin to the Christians who say god is against same-sex marriage. Where is the proof?

> People have selves, and enjoyment of the self is the only earthly meaning.

Really? Why is enjoyment of self the only earthly meaning? Because Michael Dawson says so? Is this based on empirical fact or is it just your take on existence?

> Freedom means nothing without selves.

Of course it does. Asserting a doctrine of no-self, does not negate the importance of freedom. In fact it demands it.

> Kid yourself about that with overblown claims if you want, but you won't convince many people that way.

Considering the historical spread of Buddhism, I would have to disagree. It just takes longer to reach some people than others. LOL.

> Falsehood will not make us free.

Agreed. That is why I find you campaign for individualism so dangerous. You spread a cancer throughout society with it.

> Meanwhile, your interpretation of human history and the genesis of people's consciousness simply differs from mine.

Since I do not know yours I cannot comment.

> I'm a materialist.

How do you define a materialist? (I mean this as a serious question). As a Buddhist, I would say that I am a radical empiricist.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister