[lbo-talk] Technology Trivia

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Sat Mar 13 06:30:45 PST 2004

I write the Qs for Defcon's Hacker Jeopardy every year. I'm starting to gather material. If you're a technophile, geek, hacker or just someone interested in technology trivia/history, you might have some arcane tech knowledge that I just haven't come across yet.

Even if you aren't into tech, you might just have some submissions for the "Weird Shit on the Web" category, technology and politics category, and the more general pop culture category. Here were a few categories that some folks have suggested:

- The War on Terr (tm)

- Politicians: Three Ways to Tell a Lie

- Sex in History (with pix)

- Deformed Genitals (w/pix)

- Junk Food to sustain the Hacker: Coffee, Red Bull, Altoids, etc.

- SCO Sucks More Than Microsoft

- Tech CEOs we love to hate: dirt and trivia on Gates, etc.

(license plate #, ss #, credit rating, worth, charity)

- Hacker Movie Clips (20 secs or so)

- Brittany's Breasts

- PUNK'd

- Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

- American Chopper

- Hogs v RBs

- You can have it fast, cheap, good: pick two

- Hacking the Vote

- Anarchism v. Libertarianism

- Best Political Hacks

- 15 Minute Hate: Target: Spammers

- Dumb Crooks

- Darwin Awards

In the past, I've had:

Ashcroft is an Asscrack SciFi Phreaking Information Warfare (military, corporate espionage, propaganda) Famous Inventions/Inventors Trivia Space exploration Women in tech/computers Crypto Malware Conspiracy Theory Geek Lingo Etymology Acronyms Great Hacks Biometrics Robotics Math/Measurement Operating System Wars and Trivia Linux/Linus Torvalds Trivia 15 Minute Hate: Bill Gates Programming Trivia Open BSD v. Free BSD Apple/Macs Government Bloopers Computer History Orwell/1984 Network Security

Etc.