[lbo-talk] the gains from variety

Michael Dawson mdawson at pdx.edu
Sat Mar 13 09:18:29 PST 2004

So I actually do understand your horseshit argument. You are wrong, as was Althusser, perhaps the single most over-rated Marxist theorist in all of history.

"The subject-agents are only active in history through the determination of the relations of production and reproduction, and in their forms."

Poppycock.

The rest of what Yoshie posts is Althusser trying to have his cake and eat it, too. Niether Marx nor any other sane Marxist ever posited Man and the automatic Subject of History in the way Hegel did, so Althusser's claim that he's clarifying Marx is caca. Althusser claimed that history is a machine and the people are robots. He did this in part to provide Theory for the French CP's resistance to the 1968 uprising in Paris, which was not under their command, so, ipso facto, not good.

Althusser is 100 percent worthless. He said nothing fair and useful about anything, and he wrote atrociously (for the usual reason). ----- Original Message ----- From: "Miles Jackson" <cqmv at pdx.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 8:29 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the gains from variety