[lbo-talk] Re:

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Sat Mar 13 09:28:17 PST 2004

On 13/3/04 5:06 pm, "Michael Pugliese" <michael098762001 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hate to say it but his autobiographical reflections afterwards (I read a
> remainder hb.for $4.98) afterwards are quite interesting.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Althusser "The Future Lasts Forever. " I
> remember at the time Newsweek had a piece on Louis strangling his wife, a hero
> of the French Resistance. K.S. Karol, (see his book on the Cuban Revolution,
> "Guerillas in Power, great writer) had a good piece in NLR, "The Tragedy of
> the Althusser's."

Yes. The Future Last A Long Time (or Forever -- it exists in both renderings: the French is "L'avenir dure longtemps") is a terrific read.

And the article mentioned by Michael -- in case anyone wants to chase it up -- is K.S. Karol (1980), "The Tragedy of the Althussers"; New Left Review (124): pp.93-95.

Chris.